Sunday, June 15, 2008

A new-found vexation

As many of you know I only speak Spanish to my kids. I am probably the hardest person on my Spanish abilities but I would still say that I'm 70% fluent in speech and 95% in comprehension.

For 90-95% of my conversations with the kids I can say what I want to say in the way I want to say it; however, occasionally my kids will ask about something or how something works that I have a difficult time explaining in Spanish.

This is VERY frustrating for me! If I've learned something from speaking Spanish to my kids it's that they have an amazing capacity to learn vocabulary. Therefore, it is even MORE FRUSTRATING for me when I see somebody take a much less than worthy effort at giving an explanation in English when it is comparably so easy.

So yea, take a second explain things to your kids. Use big words. IT'S OK! THEY'LL UNDERSTAND YOU!!

1 comment:

robbienmeri said...

Lee -

I don't know if you remember, I served with Ruth in the LATVC and we came to your house once at Wymount for FHE. I didn't realize you guys were teaching your kids Spanish until I read on your blog about Ruth not understanding one of your kids because he was saying "cama". Robbie and I are teaching our kids Spanish too. Robbie only speaks in Spanish to our boys, and I speak in both since we need them to know English to be able to communicate with our families. So far it is going great. They understand pretty much everything and our 3 year old is doing well speaking it. Our 1 year old just started saying words this last week and two of the four are Spanish. We went to start teaching our 3 and half year old to read, do you know of any first reader books in Spanish? What has helped you with your kids? I find people's reaction is either totally positive or totally negative. When it's negative, I really think it is because they are jealous they can't do the same thing with their kids, but a lot of people just think it's great. Anyways, good luck, I know Robbie is always looking up words in our huge Oxford Spanish dictionary.