Yeah, so I know most of us already know that English doesn't make sense - especially when compared to other languages such as Spanish.
That's why, when we find something that doesn't make sense in Spanish we have a hard time accepting it.
As you probably didn't notice, one of the phrases in my last post was "desde luego".
Desde = since
Luego = later
Somehow these two combined = "of course!"...yea, of course, exactly what I was thinking. I found a forum addressing this seemingly non-sense phrase and was enlightened by what I read.
The forum started with a question asked by a gringo much like myself asking somebody to explain how "desde luego" (since later) can mean "of course".
One of the first posts in reply to his question said something to the effect of "First, tell me why the words 'of' and 'course', when put together, equal 'certainly' or 'yes'."
There you have it...I bet you never thought about the phrase "of course" and how those two words together can mean what they do.
If fact, a very common way to say "of course" in Spanish is "Claro que si" or "clearly yes". Now that actually makes sense.
Thursday, March 05, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
That is so true and funny. Thanks for sharing!
So true! I try to explain to people how simple and rational Spanish is compared to our crazy English language, and they just don't get it. :-)
Post a Comment