Sunday, October 25, 2009

Cold Cereal: Confessions of an Addict

Growing up cold cereal was reserved for Sunday morning. The rest of the week's breakfasts were a rotation of hot cereal, eggs, and either pancakes or French toast on Saturdays.

Yep, I was a lucky boy! My cold cereal and pop-tart-eating friends were always envious of my home cooked meals.

Over time I really started to enjoy cold cereal on Sundays and in a way start to look forward to it. By the time I was in middle school I frequently had it as an after-school or late-night snack.

I now consider cold cereal one of my favorite foods! It's a great meal and a great dessert! I still try to reserve it for breakfast only, but occasionally I splurge and eat it for a snack as well.

Occasionally, at the end of the day when I'm laying in bed and I start to think of all the things I have to do, or trials coming up, I'll catch myself thinking to myself, "Well, at least I get to eat cold cereal first thing tomorrow morning!!"

Crazy? Obsessed?

I think so. I know I've thought about cold cereal in times of stress several times before I ever really thought about it and realized how strange of a thought process it was.

I can't think of a cold cereal I don't like. Whatever it is, I like it to be a little soggy and the milk to be around 55-60 degrees instead of the cold 45 degrees at which the refrigerator keeps it. One way to do this is to just let it sit out for 5 minutes, but once it's in the bowl I can't wait that long. Fifteen seconds in the microwave get's it just right!!



4 comments:

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

You crack me up. And I LOVE YOU!!! I am so glad that you even like the $0.99 corn flakes I have been buying lately from Aldi. (Good thing we have sugar in the house.) Thanks for everything while we've been hammering away at our goal.

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

So, what is your absolute favorite cold cereal???

Cardiganwearer said...

The line "15 seconds in the microwave" makes you sound just like your mother.

Lois said...

Haha! That's awesome Lee! I like cold cereal too, but I like my milk to be really cold and I don't like it soggy. :)