Sunday, October 11, 2009

Mr. Fix-it!

Excerpts from my journal this last weekend:

Friday we went to the temple. We met the Stouts there and they watched our kids while Ruth and I went in. Always a good experience. Unfortunately it was raining the whole time so the Stouts and all the kids just stayed in their van and watched movies on their car DVD player - glad they had one; one of the few times I wished we did. Then we switched. We all went into the annex waiting room and did our best to let the kids release their pent up energy without causing too much of a ruckus.

After that we went home and stopped in Rolla to stock up on some food from Aldi. They were doing road work around Rolla so we couldn't get back on the free way there. We had to drive down a country road about 10 miles or so to get to the next on-ramp.

We had decided to have me change he oil in the van instead of having the shop do it so we stopped at Autozone and just as we were pulling in our front passenger tire went flat. We had to drive a whole 20 yards on the flat tire. Pretty blessed if you ask me. I went in and bought the oil, oil filter, and a tire repair kit. It all still turned out to cost less than an oil change. While we were there I saw a guy from our church and he helped me change the tire.

On the way home we stopped at the PX pharmacy to get my artificial tears since I was almost out. There were a lot of people waiting and it didn't seem to be moving very quickly. It was around 4:45 and it said they closed at 6:00 so I figured it would be better to just get everybody home as it had been a long day. I was back there by 5:20 and they were closed!! There was a lady there closing up and turning off the lights and she could tell I was confused. She pointed out a sign that said they closed at 5:00 due to the holiday weekend (Columbus Day). I must have looked pretty disappointed because she asked if it was just a refill that was ready to pick up - which it was. She took me back there and found a worker that hadn't turned their computer off yet and they let me fill the Rx!!! Thank you PX Pharmacy!!

That night for dinner I made pizza. I think I finally got it just how I wanted. Ruth said it was the best pizza dough we've made yet!! After the kids were in bed Ruth and I played Set, a "matching" card game we have. It had been a while since we'd played; we ended up tying, which is always nice.

Saturday I made pancakes, changed the oil by myself for the (almost ashamed to say it) first time. I also found the hole in our tire and patched it up. I had seen my Dad do it once before on a trip to Uncle Bert's in San Diego. At the time I was very skeptical that any type of patch that worked by essentially ramming a sticky worm into a hole would actually work. Well, it did then for my Dad and it did yesterday for me. I have to admit, I felt pretty good about myself after changing our oil and fixing the hole in our tire.

After that we went to a baptism at the church. When we got home we ate lunch and and Cal and I went to the library and Commissary. After dinner we got everybody ready for bed and got the girls in bed. Then Ruth, myself, and the boys played That's Life, a German-style board game that I bought a couple of years ago. It says you're supposed to be 8 to play it but Clark understands it pretty well and Cal likes to roll the dice and move his little man around the board. Again, Ruth and I tied.

Later that night I listened to the first half of the BYU / UNLV game. BYU was up by at least 17 by the end of the first half and it was late so I went to bed.

Church was pretty good today. Lots of great testimonies. Shanna and Haley had a little "moment" before we even got through the opening hymn, but for the most part they eventually settled down. No official dinner tonight. We just sort of snacked on food around the house, plus Ruth made some yummy zucchini muffins. We listened to a conference talk and ate ice cream before the kids went to bed. Ruth put them to bed and I cleaned up.

Tomorrow is Columbus Day so no work! To bad Clark has to go to school. One of the perks of working for the government.

2 comments:

Lois said...

I've changed oil more than you have! :) Good job though on being Mr. Fix-it - I'm very impressed with the tire patching job! Oh and I want your pizza dough recipe.

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

That was quite the adventurous weekend--temple, flat tire, pizza, baptism, games, etc. But very fun with you by my side! Great job on changing the oil and fixing the tire. I am so glad that you could do it and that it "fit" into our budget!