Thursday, May 22, 2008

Clark's First Bike!!!!

Yep, Clark is old enough to start his future bike-riding career. He has been able to pedal a tricycle for at least a year or two and ride a 2-wheeled scooter. So, I'm hoping he can combine the two skills and learn to ride his new bike.

I found it on Craig's List. It is a chrome Schwinn with 16" wheels. It looked pretty good in the pictures and the asking price was $20. When we got to the house to pick it up it had quite a bit of rust around the lower tubes an bottom bracket. It was also fairly dirty and I could tell it was going to take some work to get up to par. I gave him $10 for it.

I spent all day yesterday overhauling it. I had to clean and repack all the bearings. The biggest project was getting all the rust off. I eventually gave up on the rust. I did get most of it off, but time-involved/results ratio was not looking good.

Overall, I think it looks pretty good and Clark was really excited about it. He even had a go at riding last night. He actually did pretty good until his nerves got the better of him. We'll keep trying.

1 comment:

The Hacking Family said...

Sweeeeet! Halle's been asking me to remove her training wheels lately. I don't think she quite understands what she's asking, but maybe we'll give the idea a spin. I remember learning to ride on Wendy's good ol' banana seat bike. Tell Clark good luck for us.