Monday, September 15, 2008

Day 36

Today we had our platoon picture done. After that we had the morning off until 11:45 at which time we did some of our medical in-processing. Only half our class did it this afternoon. The other half did it early this morning.

First we did dental. Only those going over-seas actually saw the dentist. The rest of us just had x-rays done. I guess we'll get a real dental exam when we go to our duty stations. After that we waited for a long time to get our vaccinations up-to-date, have some blood drawn, read the eye chart, and make sure we had received all the glasses we were supposed to.

It was pretty funny when they gave me the PPD for Tuberculosis. That's when they inject the little but of fluid under you skin on your forearm and re-check it in a couple of days to see if it reacted. Anyway, normally they say something about not scrubbing it too hard or pushing on it. the guys that did mine said "don't scrub it, poke it, or dig it out with a knife." The sad part is that he probably said that because somebody's done it before.

I got done with that at 6:15. Yep, 6 1/2 hours to get my teeth x-rayed, and a little lab work done. But...at least it was "free"!

I found out today that the travel office won't pay for my plane ticket back to Raleigh because technically I'm only supposed to go to Ft. Leonard Wood from here. I told them that I had to go home to get my family and my household goods. They said that I could exchange the ticket to MO for one to NC and that I'd only have to pay the difference ($19) but that I would lose the chance to collect per diem. I hope they give me an appointment with the travel office soon so that we can get some of this figured out.

No comments: