Friday, September 05, 2008

Days 27-30

Sept 2, 2008

This morning we left for Camp Bullis at around 4:30. We didn't get a warm breakfast so they gave us MRE's. Imitation pork rib is ok, but it's not the most enticing breakfast dish.

I had several people wish me happy birthday from my platoon this morning which was nice. Later though I had a few people that weren't in my platoon (and were not likely to know my birthday) wish me a happy birthday. They all happened to be optometrists. I asked one how he knew it was my birthday and he said my wife had sent out an email! She sure surprised me, but looking back I'm not that surprised. She always goes out of her way to make sure special days are special. Thanks Ruth!!

After breakfast we were re-issued our weapons. We all got different ones and the one I got back isn't as clean as the one I turned in. Asi es la vida.

Today our team (a third of the company, or a 6th of the whole class) ran a level 2 aid station at the FOB (forward operating base). Actually, half of us ran the aid station for half the day and the other half did security (towers, guards, traffic control) and then we all switched roles. We had casualties (actors) show up that we helped and the security had to deal with fire from outside the FOB and mortar attacks. They also had to deal with people trying to get into the FOB that were not authorized. During the half I was in the aid station I was on an aid and litter team. It was pretty fun - more fun than running security anyway.

Tonight after our activities for the day I tried to call Ruth but I couldn't get any service anywhere on the FOB. CPT Osmanski was nice enough to lend me his so I could talk to Ruth and the kids.

We didn't eat until around 6:45. After diner they had all the new and old student leadership meet and all us old leaders passed on the batton to the new ones. What a relief!! It was a good experience, but I'm glad it's over.

After dinner our team met together so that we could be briefed on running the level 1 aid station tomorrow.

Level 1 care - a handful of medics, a PA and/or doc, and some other soldiers that work out of the back of a truck or ambulance near the front line.

Level 2 care - a handful of nurses, a PA, a doc, and some other soldiers that work out of a tent inside a FOB.

Level 3 care - a full service hospital (can be tents or fixed facility) in a very safe place in the country where fighting is happening or in a safe nearby country.

Level 4 care - a full service hospital back home in the States.

After the brief I called Ruth again so that we could read scriptures and pray.

Sept 3, 2008

Today we got to sleep in until 6:00!! Very nice. At 6:30 we ate breakfast and at 7:15 we got in formation. Our new platoon sargeant barely made it on time. Oh well.

Today we did level 1 care. our team was split up into two groups. One was supposed to be the main aid station and the other (mine) the forward aid station. The MAS has the doc, and the FAS has the PA. It was pretty educational.

Tonight we found out that our platoon is in charge of CQ (guard duty, basically) - two people per hour from 10:00pm to 7:00am. Our platoon sargeant asked for 11 male and 11 female volunteers and drew our names out of a hat to see which hour we would do it. I got 11:00-midnight. Not bad. It was actually pretty nice because I got to use the internet. We'll basically just sit in an office and answer the phone if it rings and each hour has a special little job that has to be done. Ours was making sure all the trash cans on the FOB had been emptied (most had).

Sept 4, 2008

Today we got to sleep in again. We got on trucks and went to tour a level 3 aid station. This one was not in use but was pretty authentic. It was also a tent version. Basically a huge tent city! Pretty amazing. It's all inter-connected and airconditioned. There are also big metal crates that can be leveled, and that hook up to all the tents. They house things like x-ray, CT, and MRI machines. They also house the lab and pharmacy. All other rooms (including ICU's and OR's) were in tents. They said that there are only 3 of these tent versions left in Iraq, most are now fixed facilities.

When we were done we ate our MRE's and headed back to the FOB where we were trained on decontaminating patients. There's a big process of cleaning and removing clothing before they're put into a special decontamination tent. Very interesting.

When we got home our platoon was picked for weapons detail (duty). We basically were in charge of inspecting everybody's weapon as they turned them in. This took most of the evening. We also turned in our own weapons, gas masks, and compasses.

I talked to Ruth later than normal due to all the aforementioned activities. It sounds like the boys are doing well with school. I'm really glad about that!

We all packed up our things before going to bed.

Sept 5, 2008

This morning we got up and got all our things out of the tent. We met for a 4:30 formation after which we left for a 3-mile rucksack march. Basically we walked in formation while carrying all our gear. Not extremely heavy, but no body caught me putting rocks in my bag that's for sure.

They told us the enlisted folk get to do a 12 mile rucksack march. Three was just fine for me.

After that we ate breakfast. After breakfast our platoon loaded up all the weapons (already in weapon racks) into trucks and took them to the armory. There they were inspected by the armory and any weapons that were not up to their standards were given back for us to clean. Luckily they only gave back like 30 out of ~500. They told us that was really good. That's because we were strict when we inspected them, forcing us to turn away a lot of our peers 1, 2 and even 3 times until they were really clean.

The rest of the battalion stayed back and did other details, like taking down tents, cleaning up, etc. When we got back to the FOB the rest of the class was just getting on the buses. Perfect timing. We were all home by 11:45ish. Very nice!!

For lunch I went to a Mexican place called Cachos with three of the LDS guys (Darin, Jess, and Chris). It was really yummy. Afterward Darin paid for a game of pool. Just he and I played as Jess and Chris had to leave to try and get CAC cards (military ID cards).

I did some laundry this afternoon, set up my plane ticket to get home at the end of the course, and reserved a moving truck for our move to Ft. Leonard Wood.

Tonight I may go out to eat with my platoon. They are going to the Texas Stake House for dinner and then on to a club/bar. If nobody is planning on going home after dinner then I just won't go at all. We'll see what their plans are.

No comments: